This 12-week course will focus on the application of psychoanalytic concepts and theory to psychedelic therapy.
Dr. Jeffrey Guss
Dr. Lawrence Fischman
Dates & Times
Live / Online
$1,200 for 12-sessions, Includes 15 hours APA CE and NYSED CE for Psychologists, Social Workers, and LMHCs
- Access NOSCs (Non Ordinary States of Consciousness), without the use of substances, through music, poetry, film and literature.
- Demonstrate a phenomenological understanding of DIED (Drug Induced Ego Dissolution);
- Analyze prior dynamic concepts of the psyche, consciousness, and the process of psychotherapeutic transformation with DIED.
- Explain the differences between the concepts of “connection”/“connectedness”, as described in the psychedelic-assisted therapy literature, with the psychoanalytic processes of attachment, including, self-other boundaries, ego defenses, and ego dissolution.
- Apply the core elements of subjective change identified in psilocybin-assisted therapy for cancer-related existential distress to concepts in psychoanalytic theory and practice.
- Compare contemporary models for “defensiveness” and “reduction in defensiveness” that are commonly reported as an effect of psychedelic therapy with the psychoanalytic concepts of nature of threat, signal anxiety, and danger.
- Apply Winnicott’s concept of transitional phenomena to psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
- Describe how a transitional space can support the psychedelic-assisted therapist’s approach to working with drug-induced non-ordinary experience.
- Describe the concepts of “moments of meeting” as “the something more than interpretation” from the change process of psychoanalytic therapy;
- Explain how “implicit relational knowing” and “moments of meeting” may be experienced in psychedelic therapy.
- Describe what is meant by “native healing intelligence” and “inner healer” in contemporary psychedelic therapy;
- Explain how these concepts are utilized in Randomized Clinical Trials using psychedelic-assisted or MDMA-assisted therapy;
- Compare how these concepts relate to analytic approaches to psychedelic therapy.
- Compare ethical guidelines for the use of touch in recent psychedelic-assisted therapy trials to guidelines in psychoanalytic and psychodynamic therapy.
- Describe the many meanings of physical touch and emotional touch;
- Discuss the implications on transference and countertransference from the use of touch.
- Analyze the components of “flight instructions” commonly used in contemporary psychedelic-assisted therapy with the explicit goals and unconscious effects of these instructions;
- Compare shamanic models of psychedelic healing to “flight Instructions.”
- Describe the impact of eyeshades, music, headphones, and the couch in psychedelic-assisted therapy from a psychoanalytic framework.
- Registration includes access to our online classroom, course handouts, and private course discussion board. All attendees may opt to be added to our professional community email list of over 800 professionals who have completed this (or similar) courses with us.
information for medical professionals and about CEs
Other Upcoming Courses
Understanding Ketamine Summer 2022 | Online
Learn principles for screening and preparing patients for ketamine treatment, and integrating the insights generated from these experiences.
Jul 9, 2022 - Jul 10, 2022
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EDT
Dr. Casey Paleos, Xiaojue Hu, MD, Haya Al-Hejailan, MSc
Integrating Psychedelics with Evidence-Based Therapy Reading and Study Group Fall 2022
This 12-week course is a diverse and challenging set of readings aimed toward deepening each student’s understanding of evidence based therapies and their application in psychedelic therapy.
Aug 8, 2022 - Nov 7, 2022
3:30 - 5:00 PM EDT
Dr. Alan Davis
Poetry, Symbols, and Story in Psychedelic Therapy | Fall 2022
Tap into the poetic. A 12-week experiential course for those interested in the use of poetry therapy in psychedelic integration with individuals and groups.
Sep 12, 2022 - Nov 28, 2022
12:00 PM -1:30 PM EDT
Jayne Gumpel, LCSW, Julia King Olivier, MD
Psychedelic Integration: Experiential Training Retreat for Clinicians | Stony Point, NY 2022
A contemplative practice retreat for clinician to experience the therapeutic use and integration of non-ordinary states of consciousness.
Oct 25, 2022 - Oct 30, 2022
Tuesday 10/25 Evening - Sunday 10/30 at noon
Dr. Elizabeth Nielson, Leah Gooch, Ed.M, 500RYT, David Gumpel, MA, Andrew Rose