A 12-week course will focus on the application of psychoanalytic concepts and theory to psychedelic therapy.
Dr. Jeffrey Guss
Dr. Lawrence Fischman
Dates & Times
EST through March 12th/EDT starting March 13th
Live / Online
$1,200 1,200 for 12-sessions(
$1,265 ticket with CE)
- Describe what is meant by “native healing intelligence” and “inner healer” and explain how this concept is utilized in several Randomized Clinical Trials using psychedelic-assisted or MDMA-assisted therapy. Compare and contrast (describe differences and similarities between) “native healing intelligence” or the “inner healer” models common in non-substance assisted psychotherapy/psychoanalysis.
- Use a phenomenological understanding of DIED (Drug Induced Ego Dissolution) to generate a model that incorporates the language and discourse of psychoanalysis.
- Analyze the practical aspects of psychedelic-assisted therapy such as eyeshades, music, headphones, and the couch, and explore their implications from a psychoanalytic framework, and their impact on the treatment process.
- Explain symbolic therapists' use of music and other rituals through the study of indigenous practices and history of medical psychedelic therapy, from Al Hubbard through William Richards and Mendel Kaelen, among others.
- List the components of “flight instructions” that are common in contemporary substance-assisted therapy and relate these to explicit goals and unconscious effects of these instructions.
- Compare the use of touch in psychedelic assisted therapy to its use (or restriction on its use) in psychoanalytic and psychodynamic therapy and list the implications of these differences with a focus on transference and countertransference.
- Discuss reactions to Stanislav Grof’s core ideas (COEX system, perinatal matrices, transpersonal psychotherapy) and their relevance to contemporary practice of psychedelic-assisted therapy.
- Compare relational, transpersonal models of psychoanalysis with Freudian ego psychology as dynamic models for understanding the psyche and the change process in psychedelic-assisted therapy.
- Critique the contemporary concept of “connection” and “connectedness” as a core process in psychedelic-assisted therapy by studying relevant papers and compare/contrast this concept with similar psychoanalytic processes such as self-other boundaries and ego dissolution.
- Explain the core elements of subjective change in participants in recent trials of psilocybin-assisted therapy for cancer-related existential distress and embed these concepts in psychoanalytic theory and practice.
- Describe contemporary models for “defensiveness” and “reduction in defensiveness” that are commonly reported as an effect of psychedelic-therapy, and understand the generic nature of threat, signal anxiety and danger, as imagined in the discourse of psychoanalysis.
- Registration includes access to our online classroom, course handouts, and private course discussion board. All attendees may opt to be added to our professional community email list of over 800 professionals who have completed this (or similar) courses with us.
Other Upcoming Courses
Integration Essentials, Winter 2022, Section 2 | Online
A 14-week Reading and Study Group for therapists and healthcare providers
Jan 19, 2022 - Apr 20, 2022
10:30 - 12:00 PM ET
David Gumpel, MA, Joseph McCowan, PsyD
Psychedelics and Psychoanalysis, Winter 2022 | Online
This Reading & Study Group uses contemporary and historical sources to teach the numerous ways psychoanalysis and psychedelics have been, and are, involved with one another.
Jan 26, 2022 - Apr 13, 2022
10:00 - 11:30 AM ET
Dr. Jeffrey Guss
Psychological Approaches to Psychedelic Therapy, Winter 2022 | Online
A Reading & Study Group focusing on various psychological concepts central to psychedelic therapy.
Feb 2, 2022 - Apr 20, 2022
2:00- 3:30 PM ET
Haya Al-Hejailan, MSc
Ketamine-Assisted Psychotherapy Certificate Program Open House | February 2022
An Open House exploring Fluence’s Ketamine-Assisted Psychotherapy Certificate Program.
Feb 11, 2022
3:00- 4:00 pm EST
Donna Sorgen, LMHC, LPC, Dr. Elizabeth Nielson, Rebecca Kronman, LCSW
Psychedelic Psychopharmacology, Winter 2022 | Online
An in-depth look at the pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacogenomics, and neuroscience of psychedelics.
Mar 7, 2022 - May 23, 2022
8:00PM - 9:30PM Eastern Time
Dr. Kelan Thomas
Understanding Ketamine March 2022 | Online
Learn principles for screening and preparing patients for ketamine treatment, and integrating the insights generated from these experiences.
Mar 19, 2022 - Mar 20, 2022
10:00 AM - 5:00PM EDT
Dr. Elizabeth Nielson, Dr. Ingmar Gorman, Xiaojue Hu, MD, Dr. Casey Paleos
Psychotherapeutic Touch Workshop | Online
A workshop in Psychotherapeutic Touch for Integrative Psychedelic Professionals
Apr 1, 2022 - Apr 8, 2022
2:00- 4:00pm EDT
Sabrina Santa Clara, LPC, R-DMT, C-IFST, RYT
Psychedelic Integration: Experiential Training Retreat for Clinicians | Phoenicia, NY 2022
A contemplative practice retreat for clinician to experience the therapeutic use and integration of non-ordinary states of consciousness.
Apr 19, 2022 - Apr 24, 2022
Dr. Elizabeth Nielson, Leah Gooch, Ed.M, 500RYT, David Gumpel, MA