This 12-week course will focus on the application of psychoanalytic concepts and theory to psychedelic therapy.
Dr. Lawrence Fischman
Jeffrey Guss, MD
Dates & Times
EST through March 11th/EDT starting March 12th
Live / Online
$1,200 includes 15 hours APA CE and NYSED CE for Psychologists, Social Workers, and LMHCs
- Access NOSCs (Non Ordinary States of Consciousness), without the use of substances, through music, poetry, film and literature.
- Demonstrate a phenomenological understanding of DIED (Drug Induced Ego Dissolution);
- Analyze prior dynamic concepts of the psyche, consciousness, and the process of psychotherapeutic transformation with DIED.
- Explain the differences between the concepts of “connection”/“connectedness”, as described in the psychedelic-assisted therapy literature, with the psychoanalytic processes of attachment, including, self-other boundaries, ego defenses, and ego dissolution.
- Apply the core elements of subjective change identified in psilocybin-assisted therapy for cancer-related existential distress to concepts in psychoanalytic theory and practice.
- Compare contemporary models for “defensiveness” and “reduction in defensiveness” that are commonly reported as an effect of psychedelic therapy with the psychoanalytic concepts of nature of threat, signal anxiety, and danger.
- Apply Winnicott’s concept of transitional phenomena to psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
- Describe how a transitional space can support the psychedelic-assisted therapist’s approach to working with drug-induced non-ordinary experience.
- Describe the concepts of “moments of meeting” as “the something more than interpretation” from the change process of psychoanalytic therapy;
- Explain how “implicit relational knowing” and “moments of meeting” may be experienced in psychedelic therapy.
- Describe what is meant by “native healing intelligence” and “inner healer” in contemporary psychedelic therapy;
- Explain how these concepts are utilized in Randomized Clinical Trials using psychedelic-assisted or MDMA-assisted therapy;
- Compare how these concepts relate to analytic approaches to psychedelic therapy.
- Compare ethical guidelines for the use of touch in recent psychedelic-assisted therapy trials to guidelines in psychoanalytic and psychodynamic therapy.
- Describe the many meanings of physical touch and emotional touch;
- Discuss the implications on transference and countertransference from the use of touch.
- Analyze the components of “flight instructions” commonly used in contemporary psychedelic-assisted therapy with the explicit goals and unconscious effects of these instructions;
- Compare shamanic models of psychedelic healing to “flight Instructions.”
- Describe the impact of eyeshades, music, headphones, and the couch in psychedelic-assisted therapy from a psychoanalytic framework.
- Registration includes access to our online classroom, course handouts, and private course discussion board. All attendees may opt to be added to our professional community email list of about 1,000 professionals who have completed this (or similar) courses with us.
information for medical professionals and about CEs
Other Upcoming Courses
Understanding Ketamine, Winter 2022 | Online
Learn principles for screening and preparing patients for ketamine treatment, and integrating the insights generated from these experiences.
Dec 10, 2022 - Dec 11, 2022
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Chantelle Thomas, PhD, Xiaojue Hu, MD
KAP Theory and Methodology, Winter 2023 | Online
A 12-week hybrid course with self-paced materials and weekly live-online meetings that teaches a theoretically grounded methodology for Ketamine Assisted Psychotherapy (KAP).
Jan 19, 2023 - Apr 6, 2023
Thursdays, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM ET
Rebecca Kronman, LCSW
Integrating Psychedelics with Evidence-Based Therapy, Winter 2023 | Online
This 12-week reading and study group is a diverse and challenging set of readings aimed toward deepening each student’s understanding of evidence based therapies and their application in psychedelic therapy.
Jan 23, 2023 - Apr 17, 2023
Mondays, 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST
Alan Davis, PhD
Integration Essentials, Winter 2023 | Online
A 12-week Reading and Study Group for therapists and healthcare providers.
Jan 24, 2023 - Apr 18, 2023
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM ET
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Psychedelic Therapists | Winter 2023
The classic MBSR course, specially tailored for psychedelic therapists.
Jan 25, 2023 - Mar 15, 2023
Wednesdays, 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM ET
David Gumpel, MA
Psychedelics and Psychoanalysis, Winter 2023 | Online
This Reading & Study Group uses contemporary and historical sources to teach the numerous ways psychoanalysis and psychedelics have been, and are, involved with one another.
Jan 26, 2023 - Apr 13, 2023
Thursdays, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM ET
Jeffrey Guss, MD
Psychotherapeutic Touch Workshop | Online, Winter 2023
A workshop in Psychotherapeutic Touch for Integrative Psychedelic Professionals
Feb 10, 2023 - Feb 17, 2023
Fridays, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Sabrina Santa Clara, LPC, R-DMT, C-IFST, RYT
Buddhism and Psychedelic Therapy | Winter 2023
This course bridges the vast knowledge and wisdom of Buddhist contemplative practice traditions to the emerging field of psychedelic-assisted therapy.
Feb 15, 2023 - May 11, 2023
Wednesdays, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM ET
David Gumpel, MA, Adi Flesher, M.Ed, LP