A 12-week Reading and Study Group for therapists and healthcare providers introducing and exploring key concepts of psychedelic integration work.
Joseph McCowan, PsyD
$1,200 for 12-sessions, Includes 15 hours APA CE and NYSED CE for Psychologists, Social Workers, and LMHCs
- Explain the concept of “unconstrained mind,” its usefulness in speaking of psychedelic states, and then discuss how cultural constructs are an essential part of psychedelic therapy being meaningful and safe
- Describe what “set and setting,” are and explain why attention to both is crucial in understanding psychedelic experiences and psychedelic therapy
- List the basic safety precautions that are used in academic research institutions when conducting research with psychedelic substances, describe common safety concerns that might arise during integration sessions (without medicine present) for identification and problem solving
- Analyze the term “ego” and critique the multiple meanings that it carries, with particular attention to the concept of“ego dissolution” or “ego death” in psychedelic therapy, using existential, neuroscience, phenomenology and psychoanalysis
- Describe the basic principles of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, including the concept of “psychological flexibility”and apply this to the change process in psychedelic integration therapy
- Use concepts that have importance in both meditation and psychotherapy as a way of organizing a narrative about change and growth in psychedelic integration therapy
- Explain the basic components of shamanic and neoshamanic ayahuasca practices in the service of offering informed psychedelic integration therapy to individuals who have sought out these types of psychedelic experiences
- Explain the layered meanings of the word“acceptance” as it related to psychedelic therapy and use understanding of these notions then use it to organize and frame interventions used as part of psychedelic integration therapy
- Describe how creativity and “meaning making”are valuable concepts in conducting psychedelic therapy; plan to use these concepts to understand and foster growth in psychedelic integration therapy
- Describe and critique recent studies on microdosing, especially as related to personality changes, creativity and mental health symptoms reported by community microdosers
- Describe the basic theory and principles of harm reduction psychotherapy, as well as incorporate those principles into psychedelic integration therapy
- Critique the 6 unifying theories of psychedelic effects *(three older theories, three new theories) described by Swanson, differentiating historic theories from contemporary ones, and analyzing their varying utility and relevance to psychedelic integration therapy
- Registration includes access to our online classroom, course handouts, and private course discussion board. All attendees may opt to be added to our professional community email list of over 900 professionals who have completed this (or similar) courses with us.
information for medical professionals and about CEs
Other Upcoming Courses
Understanding Ketamine Summer 2022 | Online
Learn principles for screening and preparing patients for ketamine treatment, and integrating the insights generated from these experiences.
Jul 9, 2022 - Jul 10, 2022
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EDT
Dr. Casey Paleos, Xiaojue Hu, MD, Haya Al-Hejailan, MSc
Integrating Psychedelics with Evidence-Based Therapy Reading and Study Group Fall 2022
This 12-week course is a diverse and challenging set of readings aimed toward deepening each student’s understanding of evidence based therapies and their application in psychedelic therapy.
Aug 8, 2022 - Nov 7, 2022
3:30 - 5:00 PM EDT
Dr. Alan Davis
Poetry, Symbols, and Story in Psychedelic Therapy | Fall 2022
Tap into the poetic. A 12-week experiential course for those interested in the use of poetry therapy in psychedelic integration with individuals and groups.
Sep 12, 2022 - Nov 28, 2022
12:00 PM -1:30 PM EDT
Jayne Gumpel, LCSW, Julia King Olivier, MD
Psychedelic Integration: Experiential Training Retreat for Clinicians | Stony Point, NY 2022
A contemplative practice retreat for clinician to experience the therapeutic use and integration of non-ordinary states of consciousness.
Oct 25, 2022 - Oct 30, 2022
Tuesday 10/25 Evening - Sunday 10/30 at noon
Dr. Elizabeth Nielson, Leah Gooch, Ed.M, 500RYT, David Gumpel, MA, Andrew Rose