This Reading & Study Group uses contemporary and historical sources to teach the numerous ways psychoanalysis and psychedelics have been, and are, involved with one another.
Jeffrey Guss, MD
Dates & Times
EST through March 11th/EDT starting March 12th
Live / Online
$1,200 includes 15 hours of CE credits | Fluence is approved by APA and NYSED to offer CE for Psychologists, LMHC, and Social Workers
- Utilize familiar psychoanalytic concepts to understand the changes in consciousness that can occur during psychedelic states
- Discuss ego death and ego dissolution as central phenomena in the process of psychedelic therapy and how this relates to change processes in psychoanalysis
- Compare the applications of psychedelic treatment in mid 20th Century psychoanalytic work to current applications that are emerging
- Describe in detail the differences between psychedelic therapy and psycholytic therapy
- Critique the contributions of mid-20th century psychoanalysts to psychedelic scholarship, especially the work of Betty Eisner, PhD
- Utilize basic information from the field of neuropsychoanalysis to understand changes in narrative identity that occur both in psychoanalysis and psychedelic therapy
- Critique the concept of “reduction in psychological defensiveness” as an effect of psychedelic treatment
- Explain the components of the mystical state in the language of psychoanalysis, and integrate this knowledge with approaches to clinical treatment
- Discuss the contributions that Jungian psychoanalysts have brought to the field of psychedelic therapy
- Describe the phenomena of “hyperassociative” or “unconstrained” mind and relate this understanding to psychoanalytic change mechanisms
- Describe the altered states of consciousness that emerge in psychoanalysis, itself, and critique how this is similar/different from psychedelic states of consciousness
- Compare the behavioral therapy model of “psychological flexibility” to the methods and goals of psychoanalysis
- Describe contemporary unifying theories of psychedelic action using 21st-century models of predictive processing, integrated information theory, and Carhart-Harris’ REBUS model
- Explain how psychoanalysis, both as a method and a theory, offers a particularly valuable conceptualization of “set and setting” and bring this knowledge to the field of psychedelic therapy
- Registration includes access to our online classroom, course handouts, and private course discussion board. All attendees may opt to be added to our professional community email list of about 1,000 professionals who have completed this (or similar) courses with us.
information for medical professionals and about CEs
Other Upcoming Courses
Understanding Ketamine, Winter 2022 | Online
Learn principles for screening and preparing patients for ketamine treatment, and integrating the insights generated from these experiences.
Dec 10, 2022 - Dec 11, 2022
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Chantelle Thomas, PhD, Xiaojue Hu, MD
KAP Theory and Methodology, Winter 2023 | Online
A 12-week hybrid course with self-paced materials and weekly live-online meetings that teaches a theoretically grounded methodology for Ketamine Assisted Psychotherapy (KAP).
Jan 19, 2023 - Apr 6, 2023
Thursdays, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM ET
Rebecca Kronman, LCSW
Integrating Psychedelics with Evidence-Based Therapy, Winter 2023 | Online
This 12-week reading and study group is a diverse and challenging set of readings aimed toward deepening each student’s understanding of evidence based therapies and their application in psychedelic therapy.
Jan 23, 2023 - Apr 17, 2023
Mondays, 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST
Alan Davis, PhD
Integration Essentials, Winter 2023 | Online
A 12-week Reading and Study Group for therapists and healthcare providers.
Jan 24, 2023 - Apr 18, 2023
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM ET
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Psychedelic Therapists | Winter 2023
The classic MBSR course, specially tailored for psychedelic therapists.
Jan 25, 2023 - Mar 15, 2023
Wednesdays, 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM ET
David Gumpel, MA
Analytic Explorations in Psychedelic Therapy, Winter 2023 | Online
This 12-week course will focus on the application of psychoanalytic concepts and theory to psychedelic therapy.
Jan 25, 2023 - Apr 12, 2023
Wednesdays, 10:00 - 11:30 AM ET
Dr. Lawrence Fischman, Jeffrey Guss, MD
Psychotherapeutic Touch Workshop | Online, Winter 2023
A workshop in Psychotherapeutic Touch for Integrative Psychedelic Professionals
Feb 10, 2023 - Feb 17, 2023
Fridays, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Sabrina Santa Clara, LPC, R-DMT, C-IFST, RYT
Buddhism and Psychedelic Therapy | Winter 2023
This course bridges the vast knowledge and wisdom of Buddhist contemplative practice traditions to the emerging field of psychedelic-assisted therapy.
Feb 15, 2023 - May 11, 2023
Wednesdays, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM ET
David Gumpel, MA, Adi Flesher, M.Ed, LP